June 1, 2013 10:09 am
Prep Time: 20 Min Cook time: 45 Min
- Rice (short grained)1 cup
- Sugar1 and 1/2 cups
- Vegetable Oil1/4 cup
- Saffron 1/4 Teaspoon
- Rose Extract1/8 Teaspoon
- Green Cardamom10 pods
- Pistachios, Blanched1/4 Cup
- Almond, Blanched1/4 Cup
- Cinnamon Powder1 Tablespoon
- Water7 cups
- Hot Water3/4 Cup
- Soak the almond and pistachios in hot water then blanch them and set aside.
- Soak the Saffron in hot water for 15-20 minutes to release its flavor and color. Set aside.
- Wash rice until the water is clean and clear, then drain.
- Add 7 cups of water and rice in a pot and bring to boil. Remove the foam while cooking the rice.
- When rice softens completely, add cardamom, sugar, rose extract, saffron and stir well.
- Heat up oil and pour it over the rice (add some of the almonds, pistachios if desired. ). Stir the rice well and steam it for 20 minutes on low heat with covered cotton cloth lid.
- Serve the Shola e Zard with sprinkled pistachio, almond, and cinnamon on the top.